Welcome!

WELCOME to the Small Book Blog! I am a voracious reader. I love losing myself in books and cannot wait to read myself into my next adventure. It is because of this love for books that I created this blog. I want to share my passion of books with you! I hope you enjoy my recommendations and reviews. My goal is that they will lead you to a new book, series or author, that you can fall in love with and recommend to others as well.

Monday, October 31, 2011

Melissa de la Cruz's Witches of East End (Beauchamp #1)

The three Beauchamp women--Joanna and her daughters Freya and Ingrid--live in North Hampton, a little town on a magic seem that people are unable to find without stumbling on it. The Beauchamp women are magical witches, from the beginning of time, whose magic was forbidden by the higher ups at the Salem witch trials in order for them to remain immortal. Joanna can resurrect people from the dead and heal the most serious of injuries. Ingrid, her bookish daughter, has the ability to predict the future and weave knots that can solve anything from infertility to infidelity. And finally, Freya, who has a charm or a potion that can cure most any heartache. After hundreds of years of suppressing their magic, each witch decides to start using their magic for various personal reasons. From there the story unravels, the town turns against them (much like Salem), there is a love triangle with Freya and two hot brothers, and mysterious and violent attacks begin to plague the town. It is up to the Beauchamp women to solve the magical mystery.

This was a cute light hearted read. I wished that the 3 main women interacted a little more with each other as the mother/daughter dynamics could have been highlighted a little more. Overall, I enjoyed the book but also was frustrated with it. I feel like the author could have given me more information or more clues throughout the novel for how she actually wanted to end it. At the end of the book you find out that these witches are not just Salem witches but Goddesses from the days of old. The story goes from witches and vampires to an ongoing battle between various Gods and Goddesses. For me that was frustrating because it was squeezed in at the end after expanding on the “witch” side of things for the entire rest of the book. **Spoiler: If you want to read the book without a cliffhanger, do not read the epilogue. It sets up the next book and you can tell it has the possibility of being adventuresome but frustrating. Like an action movie that makes you clench and have to leave the room, is what it sounds like.**

Overall I would continue to read this series to see the author’s writing progress and how the characters develop. It was a fun Halloween read.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello Dear Reader! I'll be checking your comment or question shortly.