Welcome!

WELCOME to the Small Book Blog! I am a voracious reader. I love losing myself in books and cannot wait to read myself into my next adventure. It is because of this love for books that I created this blog. I want to share my passion of books with you! I hope you enjoy my recommendations and reviews. My goal is that they will lead you to a new book, series or author, that you can fall in love with and recommend to others as well.

Friday, December 1, 2023

Alix E. Harrow's Starling House

 


This book… it’s good! I can see why Reese Witherspoon wanted this book to be her book clubs’ monthly choice. The writing is fantastic, it’s engaging and everything just flows. I did the audiobook version and it was almost relaxing. The reader was wonderful to listen to and, like I said, the story was a smooth ride. I wasn’t pulled out of it at all…well… other than to have to pause and work here and there. *Winks*

We find ourselves wandering through the pages of mystery, adventure, magic, and light horror within the walls of Starling House as Underland gets stronger and the monsters more frequent. I enjoyed the research and information on the past. It really helped inform on the present predicament Arthur and Opal find themselves trying to fight. I loved how sentient the house is and the magic within it- the house can accommodate whatever the warden needs, or the house decides is needed, even updating itself with the changing times for things like plumbing and electricity! I also loved the idea of the magic fighting the outside world so you can’t map it, photograph it, describe it… it’s almost a living thing, deciding who is a trespasser and who is welcome. Starling House protects its own.

This is my first Alix Harrow book and after reading Starling House, it has given me the push I need to finally read her 10,000 Doors of January. I will admit I have been moving it down my TBR pile. I think it’s the “10,000” in the title, my mind says, “that’s how long the book is” and I shy away. I just checked, less than 400 pages. *Phew* I will also share, I felt Starling House had tones of Leigh Bardugo’s Ninth House and Stephen King’s Fairy Tale. I’m just delighted I pushed myself to read this book and find a new author to follow. I hope you do to. Let me know!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello Dear Reader! I'll be checking your comment or question shortly.